College English II
Essay #4 Assignment
• For this assignment, write a descriptive and informative essay about The Bluest Eye. Here are the topics for the assignment.
1. The Bluest Eye deals with Pecola’s struggle with her self-image and self-worth. How does Toni Morrison convey this struggle? Why does Pecola want to have blue eyes? Examine this internal conflict through the analysis of social attitudes towards beauty and acceptance.
2. Choose a character or relationship you find most fascinating in the novel and analyze his/her/their significance to the novel as a whole.
3. The Bluest Eye was Toni Morrison’s first novel. In what ways is the novel still relevant to contemporary American society? How is it pertinent to your own experience as an American living in the 21st century?
You must use electronic/database sources from the library. You need a total of four (4) resources for your “Works Cited” page.
• must include quotes/paraphrases from at least two (2) sources (within your paper). These in-text citations must be cited properly using MLA format. (See MLA Citation handout from eLearning.)
• must be 3-4 pages in length.
• must have a clear thesis statement in the introduction paragraph.
• must have a clear organization – grouping of ideas and order of ideas.
• must be free of grammatical and spelling errors.