Topic Film: Jaws (Steven Spielberg, 1975, 124m)
For your final paper you will conduct an analysis of an entire film (Jaws)
This paper requires that you formulate an interpretive claim. This means that you will be making an argument about the way that a motif or theme is developed over the course of a film.
Your paper must have a creative title (e.g. not “Film Paper”)
Choose one (1) of three approaches for developing your analysis:
1) Explore how a character’s psychological or emotional makeup defines the Film’s primary conflict.
2) Discuss how a film consistently employs a particular stylistic device to
Develop its story or themes.
3) Argue that a film explores a cultural phenomenon; consider whether or Not the film develops a position on this phenomenon.
On page 40 of your textbook, table 3.2 helpfully supplies a sample thesis
Statement corresponding to each of these approaches. Please also see pages
43-46 of the textbook for information about developing a film analysis.
• Paper must be 6 to 8 pages in length, 12 pt font, double-spaced. Your
Pages must be numbered.
• Your paper must have a creative title (e.g. not “Film Paper”)